The new generation of sustainable coffee-to-go mugs
I recently introduced you to reusable coffee-to-go mugs. Today it’s about the new generation of disposable coffee-to-go cups. The cool thing is, as with ice cream, you can eat the cup after enjoying your coffee. Thus, they are 100% biodegradable 😉 Meanwhile, there are cups made of different ingredients – whether wheat, cookie dough with chocolate or gelatin in different fruity flavors. You can already get them in coffee shops in New York, Tokyo and Johannesburg. And one thing is for sure – that’s THE coffee trend of summer 2018!
- Coffee waffle from South Africa, which is also available in the USA, Australia and the UK thanks to the large selfie community on Instagram.
- An edible waffle cup with chocolate coating from the Ukraine.
- A young start-up company from Bulgaria.
- The edible coffee mug is made of 100% organic wheat.
- About 40 min. keeps the cup tight and does not affect the coffee taste.
- Cookie coffee mug from Japan
If you like to bake yourself, here is a how to video and below the recipe.
- Mix 90 g butter, 77 g sugar, 77 g cane sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 1 egg yolk in a bowl.
- Add 220g of flour and knead into a firm dough.
- Wrapp it in plastic wrap and keep it for about 1 h in the refrigerator.
- Roll out the dough approx. 3 – 4 mm thick on a work surface dusted with flour.
- Cut 6 cm wide and 19 cm long strips and cut out the remaining dough in size of the dessert rings.
- Lay the desserts with the strips of dough and firmly squeeze the overlapping layers of dough.
- Then press the cup bottom.
- Place the cups on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and leave for approx. 30 min. refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and the cups for about 10 min. to bake.
- Turn it upside down and bake for another 5 – 7 min.
- Allow to cool for 10 min. and then carefully remove from the rings.
- Spread to taste with dark chocolate and decorate with chopped nuts or gold dust.
- The cups are made of vegetable-based gelatin
- Rather, something for the summer, because only suitable for cold coffee.
- They are available in the flavors vanilla, cherry, matcha and citrus.
The summer can come! Let’s hope that the cups prevail in the market, and soon there will be no garbage-producing disposable cups more.