Ordering coffee can be a challenge, because not only the preparation, ingredients, additives and “to go?” can be chosen – the beans as well!
Basically one differentiates between single origins and blends.
- If a coffee has this title, all coffee beans must come from the same cultivation area and must not be mixed with other coffee varieties.
- In the last few years, this has become hip, not only in terms of taste, but also because more and more coffee drinkers want exclusive products with exceptional taste.
- Compared to coffee blends, the beans of the Single Origins are roasted brighter. This makes the tasteful facet richness of the varietal coffee particularly effective.
- Fruity tastes such as berry, grapefruit and lemon are so emphasized.
- The coffees also have a high quality standard because only the best beans of a crop are selected for it. Classifications like SHG (Strictly High Grown) and AA indicate that.
- On my website you will get the corresponding Single Origin Coffee recommendations in the COFFEE COUNTRIES section, including the traditional preparation method.
- In the shops themselves, you get transparent information from cultivation to roasting and flavor per coffee, as the roasters usually maintain direct contact with the farmers.
- A blend is a mixture of different coffee varieties.
- This is done in order to complement the advantages of the individual coffees, so that a harmonious blend is produced.
- Blends are clearly the most widespread. One of the most important reasons for this is that coffee is subject to fluctuations as a natural product. These are easier to balance when roasting blends.
- Very popular are mixtures of Arabica and Robusta, because the fruity Arabica tastefully complements the strong and full-bodied Robusta.
- It is not only possible to emphasize the positive notes of a variety, but also to cover flavor weaknesses.
- For example, industrial blends are used for the purpose of reducing costs by adding coffees of poor quality.
- In addition, the darker roasting also covers less good aromas with toasted notes.
- Nevertheless, there are of course excellent blends – here a few recommendations:
At the end, its just about taste – enjoy tasting