No. 33 of coffee producers worldwide with a markt share of 0.1 %.
- Robusta coffee (Coffea togoensis) is cultivated at heights of 200 and 500 m in the highlands of Atakpame.
- In 2016 it were 200,000 bags of 60 kg each.
- Togo exports all its coffee (10 % of Togos total export), then has to import the processed coffee again at inflated prices – neocolonialism, which drives the population into poverty!
- Thus the country pays its foreign debt.
- The population has no benefits from this, as, for example, no jobs are created for processing the beans.
- Everything you get in Togo is the taste resitent instant Nescafé, which is more expensive than in Europe – and this in a country that grows coffee …
- If you want to drink Togolese coffee, you can expect a typical Robusta taste – full-bodied and earthy.