The carnival originated at the beginning of the 20th century.
- Inspired by the carnival of Venice.
- The traditions were adapted 20 years ago.
- The carnival in Cusco begins with the festival of the godfathers and godmothers.
- The custom of “Yunza“, in the rainforest “Humisha” and on the coast “Cortamonte” is the highlight.
- A tree is adorned with gifts, clothing and decorative items and then planted.
- The population then dances around the tree in pairs, until one of the couples falls the tree.
- This couple must organize the Yunza next year.
- The tradition of water balloons, water guns or colored foam sprays is also widespread.
- Not to be missed are also the vote of the carnival queen, the vote of King Momo, parades with decorated carriages, costumes, carnival dances and competitions.
Celebration is a whole month – but the highlight is this week.
How to endure this? With coffee from Peru. You can find all information and recommendations hier >>