Happy International Women’s Day!
Time to take a look at the women in the coffee world today and to pay homage to them!
Women worldwide play an important role in coffee production. A handful of international associations is working to ensure their access to equal ownership and employment conditions.
Research shows that increased access for women, particularly in agriculture, has a major impact on education, health, nutrition, general well-being and poverty reduction.
- ITC currently supports the EAFCA with development programs in 11 countries, including a component for women in coffee, which are supported in their Coffee Guidebook and the website version at www.thecoffeeguide.org.
- The collaboration with EAFCA has enabled the ITC to expand its network of women working in the coffee sector.
Women in Coffee (WIC)
- A leading information and training organization for women, mainly active in Central America.
- Work to improve the conditions of women in the coffee sector.
- In 2004, in Peru initiated by 464 women who had decided to improve their own lives, but also to all women worldwide.
- The Foundation promotes the integration of women into social, political and professional organizations through the provision of grants.
- The first scholarship was given to a coffee cooperative in Indonesia to provide emergency exhensions and food after the devastating earthquake and the tsunami of December 2004.
- Promotes leadership training for women through the partnership of female mentors in the United States with scholarship holders in Central and South America.
- A global network of women in the coffee sector.
- Task: To enable women in the international coffee community to have a meaningful and sustainable life.
- Founding partners are Gavina, Green Mountain Coffee, InterAmerican Coffee, Amfotek and Bunn.
- Recognized by the United Nations, the ITC (International Trade Commission), the ICO (International Coffee Organization).
- 3.-5. August 2017: IWCA Convention in Mexico
- Alianza de Mujeres
- Café de Costa Rica / Costa Rican alliance of women in coffee
- Mujeres en Café de Guatemala / Women in coffee in Guatemala
- Flores del café – Movimiento de Mujeres / “Coffee Flowers” – Women’s Movement in Nicaragua.
- Java Mountain Women’s Coffee Cooperative
- APROLMA in Honduras
- COMUCUP – Coordinadora de Mujeres Campesinas de La Paz