Christmas is just around the corner and you either treat yourself with something nice or surprise someone who is very close to your heart. But what is the best present? For Coffee lovers the best presents are coffee equipment and a good coffee. But which machine should it be? Anyone can press a button – but taking care of your coffee beforehand makes it taste even better. However, portafilter machines are not only for professionals – there are machines for different requirements. What you have to pay attention to, including machine recommendations, can be found here.
Actually, such machines are designed quite simply. The pump transports water from the tank to the boiler. This heats the water for brewing the espresso or frothing the milk. And this is exactly where you should pay attention to the differences. A distinction is made between single-circuit, double-circuit and dual boilers.
Here the pump leads the water from the tank directly to the boiler and at the same time supplies the brew group for brewing the espresso and the steam wand for frothing the milk. The disadvantage of this simple solution is that the optimal temperature for the brewing group is 93 °C, but for the production of the perfect milk froth it is around 115 °C. So if you want full, velvety froth for your cappuccino, it’s a good idea to wait a few minutes after brewing the espresso and adjust the temperature in the kettle. Such machines are therefore more for purists who want to enjoy their espresso pure.
ECM – Classika II PID
- Portafilter machine with elaborately finished housing made of polished stainless steel and stainless steel bowl
- Fresh water tank: approx. 2.8 liters Boiler volume: approx. 0.75 liters
- Weight: 18.5kg
- Dimensions: (without filter holder) 250mm W x 445mm D x 395mm H
- PID control for setting the temperature of the boiler for steam and espresso
- PID display showing espresso processing time in seconds
Sage Barista Touch
- Claro Swiss water filter portafilter machine for velvety smooth espresso enjoyment
- Intuitive touchscreen: You can easily adjust the coffee strength, milk consistency or temperature to suit your taste and simply save it under your name.
- Stainless steel mill with closed 250g bean hopper and integrated conical grinder
- 2 liter detachable water tank with handle
- Milk foam jug with temperature display
- Dimensions: 127mm D x 155mm W x 160mm H
- Weight: 12.88kg
As the name suggests, there are two circuits. The boiler is surrounded by a water chamber into which cold water is pumped. The water temperature of the boiler is almost 115 °C for the perfect milk foam and heats the water in the surrounding chamber to 93 °C for the espresso. The disadvantage here: If no espresso is drawn for a long time, the temperature in the chamber rises and is too hot for a perfect espresso. Therefore, you should first drain water through the group head (cooling flush). Two circuits are perfect for cappuccino fans.
- Compact portafilter machine
- Dual circuit with E61 brew group
- The beautiful design, combined with clean workmanship and the premium technical components inside, ensure the perfect and uncomplicated entry into the world of portafilters.
- Dimensions: 247 mm W x 425 mm D x 360 mm H incl. railing.
- Boiler volume: 1.8 liters.
- Weight: 21kg
- Water tank: 1.8 liters
Bezzera Mitica S MN
- Portafilter machine with tank version
- Dimensions: 320mm W x 450mm D x 440mm H
- Weight: 24kg
- The two independent water circuits always guarantee freshly heated water for espresso of consistently high quality thanks to a heat exchanger.
You can almost imagine it – these machines have two boilers. Pressure and temperature can be individually adjusted, making it perfect for espresso and the steam wand for frothing milk. So you save yourself the wait. If you only drink an espresso or cappuccino every day, you don’t have to invest in a dual boiler – dual-circuit ones do a good job too! But advanced users and baristas will have great fun with dual boilers.
Sage SES920 incl. coffee grinder
- High quality, semi-automatic, programmable portafilter machine with auto-start function.
- 58 mm mesh filter for 19-22 g of ground coffee
- LCD display is easy to use and allows you to adjust the settings and program the various parameters such as B. the shot quantity, the shot temperature, the automatic start timer, the cleaning messages.
- Dimensions: 370mm W x 360mm D x 360mm H
- Weight: 15.46kg
Sage Oracle Touch
- Dual boiler portafilter machine
- The integrated precision conical grinder automatically grinds, doses and tamps 22 grams of freshly ground coffee.
- The pressure relief valve limits the maximum pump pressure during extraction, helping to avoid bitter flavors; pre-infusion gradually increases water pressure to gently expand the grist for an even extraction.
- Digital temperature control (PID) Self-cleaning steam pipe
- Easily adjust the coffee strength, milk texture or temperature to your taste with the touch of a button and then save it with your own unique name;
- Create and save up to 8 personalized coffee types
- 280 g bean container, 2.5 liter water tank
- Accessories: 480ml stainless steel milk jug, steam wand replacement parts, cleaning kit, water hardness test strips, water filter holder and water filter
QuickMill 0995 Vetrano
- Two boiler sieve carrier machine with PID
- 0.75 liter coffee kettle,
- 1 liter steam kettle Electronic
- PID temperature control for steam and coffee
- Use with a direct water connection or with a 3 liter water tank
- Stainless steel case
- The “cool touch” steam pipe has insulation that prevents the outer pipe from heating up, so you don’t burn your fingers.
- Dimensions: 340mm W x 470mm D x 410mm H
- Weight: 25kg
Accessories – Coffee Equipment
Most portafilter machines require a separate coffee grinder – you’ll find a few recommendations below – but I’m planning a separate article on that soon.
Here is a small selection of equipment that will certainly make friends if you already have a portafilter machine. Important: depending on the machine, not every accessory fits. There are also many differences in water treatment that books can be written about. So here is just a short selection of the most important accessories.
In the coffee scene, I’ve actually often heard that the grinder is even more important than the portafilter machine. There’s something to it, because a good grinder is not only durable, but also grinds the coffee evenly. And that leads to a better brewing result. That’s why it makes a difference whether you use a mortar, a food processor or a real coffee grinder.
For advertising links on this page the dealer may pay a commission. These advertising links are marked with an asterisk (*) – images and banners are marked with “Ads” or “Advertisment”. There are no costs for you. Find more information in the data protection regulations here.